Expected start date: 18 July 2016
An emerging international media project in the Russian-language is looking for experienced journalists to work as a Duty Editors in its Prague office. This position requires at least 5 years’ experience in the Russian language media as well as great editorial and communication skills. Working as a part of a busy small team, you will have to demonstrate a sound news judgement, an ability to commission, fact-check and edit news stories as well as the longer text formats, multimedia and social networks content. Working with remote teams, you will need great communication skills: a good ear to understand their needs and the ability to explain yours.
If you are a native level Russian speaker, fluent in at least one other Western language (a good command of one of the languages of the CIS will be an advantage), have at least five years of professional journalistic experience, writing and editing for a variety of platforms, then … send your CV and motivational letter to email@example.com
- To plan, process and distribute content created in various countries in Eurasian region, coordinate and manage the creation of new content as well as contribute to the development of new, innovative formats for the web.
- To identify the common themes in the individual medias’ output, in order to help generate and promote content for the widest possible circle of Partners.
- To perform and manage the processing of everyday media content, by fact, legal, copyright and editorial policy compliance checking.
- To maintain and keep up to date the appropriate databases to enable the compliance checks.
- To assess commissioning pitches from the editorial and the practical point of view and to make suggestions and recommendations.
- To coordinate/manage/motivate the relevant editors in media outlets engaged in the exchange and the commissioning of content, ensuring best possible performance from all. To carefully monitor all incoming content and outside sources.
- To plan ahead to be aware of future developments and trends and brief and advise FPEE colleagues. To deputise as necessary for the Editor of the Central newsdesk.
- To observe and carry out any requirements outlined in the FPEE Central newsdesk Security as well as the Health and Safety policy and specifically to conduct risk assessments when appropriate.
Knowledge and expertise:
- Minimum of 5 years’ combined experience as a newsroom Journalist/editor, reporter, and/or correspondent. Proven track record of producing/editing multimedia news content. Sound knowledge of Eurasian region’s politics/current events. A highly developed editorial judgement and awareness.
- A proven track record of expertise in one or more of the following fields: sociology, economy, CIS politics, IT, art and culture.
- An expert level of social media literacy.
Skills and abilities:
- Ability to plan, coordinate and promote both the current and the commissioned media content. Ability to build relationships/rapport with newsroom staffers in the variety of media outlets.
- Good multimedia editing skills.
- A native fluency in Russian (must have excellent writing skills in a variety of styles and genres),together with a fluent English, German, or French – are required for this post. A good command of Azeri, Belarusian, Georgian, Romanian, and/or Ukrainian, would be an advantage.
- Ability to plan, commission and coordinate the creation of auxiliary and interactive content, including infographics, maps, or games.
- Ability to negotiate/exercise diplomacy where necessary.
- Possession of the specific skills in writing, recording, editing,
interviewing and reporting is required for this job. Highly developed communication skills (both face-to-face and distance).
- Ability to motivate and to work with the FPEE colleagues to make innovative and imaginative content.
- Ability to make decisions with authority and under pressure and to identify, prioritise and interpret key FPEE content of the day. Ability to manage resources, technical facilities and budgets, in order to help create original content.
- A sound appreciation of web content production, social-media and multimedia production techniques.
The successful candidate will be required to work irregular and long hours, including weekends, public holidays and standby shifts.
The process of selection includes several stages. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stages of selection that includes written test and personal interviews.