FPEE is looking for a Medical Editor who will be part of an international project empowering quality health and medical journalism in Bulgaria, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovakia.
This position requires at least five years of experience of work with/in the Central and Eastern Europe-based media. Working as a part of an international team, you will have to demonstrate a sound news judgement, ability to fact-check and edit medical stories and provide related consultancies to media professionals and newsrooms.
Working with remote teams, you will need great communication skills: a good ear to understand their needs and the ability to explain yours.
- Coordinate between multiple newsrooms
- Provide leadership on scientific fact-checking necessary for the creating medical and healthcare stories
- Provide editorial support and guidance for partner materials dedicated to the medical issues
- Contribute to knowledge-sharing environment within the project that foster innovative approach to digital storytelling
- Review news pitches in terms of accuracy and relevance
- Provide inputs for regular narrative reporting
- Coordinate your activities with the Prague-based and Amsterdam-based project team
Skills and abilities:
- A broad interest in and a love for science.
- At least Master’s degree related to the sphere of your expertise
- At least 3+ years of journalistic experience in Central- and Eastern European countries
- At least 5 years of professional experience as an editor
- C1/C2 English language speaker and fluent in one of the target region’s language: Bulgarian, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Polish or Slovak.
- Highly developed communication skills (both face-to-face and distance).
- Ability to build relationships/rapport with partner newsroom staffers
- Experience in multi-country production and editing is a plus
Are you interested?
If you are interested in this position, please send your motivation letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The expected start date is the 2nd half of February 2022. The closing date for this post may be brought forward or extended depending on the volume and strength of applications.
We reserve the right to contact selected applicants before the deadline date. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
A screening and references are part of the application process.
Free Press for Eastern Europe is a non-profit organisation and is based in Prague. FPEE supports independent media outlets with their work across the continent. FPEE closely collaborates with its founding partner Free Press Unlimited (Amsterdam).
Currently FPEE is implementing SCIENCE+, a project that aims to build a community of organizations and experts from Europe and beyond committed to increasing the quality of medical reporting and building bridges between journalists, editors, and scientists who work on health-related topics.