FPEE is currently looking for an Editor/ Science and/or Medical News Producer for its new regional project aimed at improving the quality of reporting in Central and Eastern Europe on medical issues including Covid-19. You will be part of an international project empowering quality health and medical journalism in Bulgaria, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovakia.
This position requires at least five years of experience of work with/in the Central and Eastern Europe-based media. You will have to demonstrate sound news judgement, ability to commission and produce medical stories in digital-friendly formats, and provide related production support to media professionals and newsrooms.
Working with remote teams in an international environment, you will need great communication skills: a good ear to understand their needs and the ability to explain yours.
- To lead and coordinate content repackaging of medical and healthcare stories into digital and social media friendly formats
- Coordinate and oversee content production within the project.
- Plan, commission and coordinate the creation of auxiliary and interactive content, including advanced digital and motion graphics elements
- Contribute to knowledge-sharing environment within the project that fosters innovative approach to digital storytelling
- Provide editorial leadership in creating medical and healthcare stories in digital and social media friendly formats
- Provide inputs for regular narrative reporting
- Coordinate your activities with the Prague-based and Amsterdam-based project team
- A broad interest in and a love for science
- A Master’s degree related to the field of your expertise or at least 5 years of professional experience in that field if you don’t have one
- At least 3+ years of producer’s/journalistic experience in Central- and Eastern European countries
- C1/C2 in English and fluent knowledge of at least one language of target countries is required
- Highly developed communication skills (both face-to-face and distance)
- Experience in multi-country productions and coordination is a plus
- Proven skills in producing/editing multimedia news content
- Ability to build relationships/rapport with partner newsroom staff
- Ability to make decisions with authority and under pressure and to identify, prioritise and interpret key content of the day. Ability to manage resources, technical facilities and budgets, in order to help create original content
- Attention to detail and accuracy a must & Intuitive understanding of storytelling on social media
Are you interested?
If you are interested in this position, please send your motivation letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The expected start date is the 2nd half of February 2022. The closing date for this post may be brought forward or extended depending on the volume and strength of applications.
We reserve the right to contact selected applicants before the deadline date. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
A screening and references are part of the application process.
Free Press for Eastern Europe is a non-profit organisation and is based in Prague. FPEE supports independent media outlets with their work across the continent. FPEE closely collaborates with its founding partner Free Press Unlimited (Amsterdam).
Currently FPEE is implementing SCIENCE+, a project that aims to build a community of organisations and experts from Europe and beyond committed to increasing the quality of medical reporting and building bridges between journalists, editors, and scientists who work on health-related topics.